Lights Out: Trailer for “Fugu & Tako,” a short film by Ben West that follows the adventures of two Japanese salarymen who are best friends and live totally normal lives.
Well, except that one of them has been transformed into a giant puffer fish after disrespecting the chef in a sushi bar. No big deal.
Let me talk to you about books.
Specifically, one book. This book.
This book should be a best seller. This book should be required reading for graduating from high school. Before you get that diploma, you read this book.
This book deals with debunking “Neurosexism,” which is a very fancy term for all of that evolutionary psychology bullshit that people spill about those “brain differences” between boys and girls.
This book debunks such myths as:
- Boys are better at math than girls
- Women make crappy lawyers/business CEOs/etc, as their brains are not cut out for aggression.
- Men make crappy counselors/primary school teachers/primary parents/etc, as their brains are not cut out for empathy.
- MEN ARE BUILT FOR GOING OUT AND HUNTING WHILE WOMEN ARE BUILT FOR STAYING HOME AND BABYMAKING IT’S NOT SEXISM IT’S JUST BIOLOGY
- And many other such myths.
Furthermore, this book covers topics such as:
- Neurosexism and gender perceptions in multiple races (as this is not a singularly white experience, just as the western world isn’t a singularly white experience)
- Sex discrimination in the workplace, and how women are (or, more often, are not) allowed to behave
- How science is used (badly) to support many of these claims
- Experiences of trans* people, both through interviews and empirical studies.
AND FINALLY - It is all brilliantly researched, cited, compiled - and it’s easy to read! Cordelia Fine actually manages to be funny while writing this, which I think is important, because it makes all of this information infinitely accessible.
Delusions of Gender has reinforced what Oberlin taught me: The gender binary is stupid and arbitrary, and dangerous. And it is a self-perpetuating bias that needs to be addressed to be overcome.
!!! I own this and I’m so happy to see it getting some attention. It’s astonishing how “researchers” have gotten away with some of the worst science ever performed to try to prove that neurological gender difference is innate and concrete.
Also recommended: The Truth About Girls and Boys: Challenging Toxic Stereotypes About Our Children by Rivers & Barnett
When Asians attack.
OH MY GODS JLAFKJkasefklawjEKLTAJ
HIS TECHNIQUE IS FLAWLESS
I WANT TO BE HIM OMG
BEST VIDEO IVE SEEN SINCE FOREVER AKFDLKFJASLF